Energy Efficiency & Energy Star:
All of C.P. Berry Homes at English Commons are built to the strict guidelines of the EPA/DOE's ENERGY STAR® program and are ENERGY STAR® certified. To earn the Energy Star Certification, each of our homes are inspected and tested by an independent Home Energy Rater (HERS Rater). Energy Star qualified homes offer the peace-of-mind that the home has been designed and built to be truly energy efficient, designed for our specific climate conditions and has undergone numerous inspections by the independent Energy Star Rater to ensure that the highest standards are met.
The Energy Star Certification Process (independently verified by the HERS Rater):
- Design - Certification begins with the proper design and sizing of the heating and cooling equipment and the ductwork. All components, including the HVAC equipment, windows, doors, insulation details and other equipment are checked to make sure they meet the Energy Star high performance requirements.
- Once the HVAC system is installed, before sheetrock, the duct system is air tested by the HERS Rater for leakage.
- The building thermal envelope is then evaluated by the Energy Star Rater to ensure that the insulation is properly installed and air sealing of the building is done properly.
- Finally, when the home is completed, and a blower door test is conducted to evaluate air leakage of the entire house. Because the homes are so tight, we incorporate mechanical ventilation programmed to allow for air exchange according to ASHRAE 62.2 and Energy Star requirements to ensure our homes are healthy homes.
- Energy Star Certified - All of our homes have earned Energy Star Certification. To be certified, the homes must be at least 15% more efficient than homes built to the 2004 International Residential Code (IRC) and include additional energy-saving features that typically make them 20-30% more efficient than standard homes. All of our homes are at least 35% more efficient than code and all meet the Energy Star Level 2 criteria. This means that CP Berry's English Common homes surpass the energy efficiency guidelines required the current 2009 IECC Energy Code including the new Stretch Energy Code.
- Appliances - Top quality appliances installed in the home by KitchenAid are Energy Star qualified products. All units are fully furnished with all appliances including the refrigerator, dishwasher, oven/cooktop or range/microwave.
- High Efficiency Gas hot water heaters are used.
- Energy Star qualified compact fluorescent bulbs are provided for lower energy usage.
All homes constructed at English Commons at Topsfield are Energy Star Level 2 qualified, saving you over 35% in energy use.